Won`t allow any attempt to foment riots in state: Mamata
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday said her government would not allow any attempt to foment riots in the state and divide communities on religions lines.
"We had condemned the Babri Masjid demolition and do not support riots. Those who create riots reap political benefits. This day reminds us that there should be no riots, but peace", Banerjee said while addressing a huge rally of Trinamool Congress activists near the Gandhi statue here.
"We observe December 6 as national Integration Day every year. I have seen the ugly face of riots in the post-Babri Masjid demolition in 1992. I had been on the streets of Kolkata day and night to stand beside the affected. Many had died, but those who engineered the riots were sleeping.
"When I went to Loreto School at Sealdah to provide food to the affected, I met Mother Teresa there," she said.
Banerjee said when the riots broke out in 1992 "I went to Jyoti Basu (then Chief Minister) when Buddha`babu (former Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee) was present and asked them if any help was needed. None of them were on the streets (that time)".
"There are some bad people who are at work to create disharmony. The state government would not allow to foment riots. A life lost, is lost forever". She said while addressing the rally, which was attended by several ministers and party MPs and legislators.
The Left parties have also been observing December 6 as Anti-communal Day since 1993 to condemn the demolition and to spread the message of communal harmony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands