Won`t allow any attempt to foment riots in state: Mamata
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday said her government would not allow any attempt to foment riots in the state and divide communities on religions lines.
"We had condemned the Babri Masjid demolition and do not support riots. Those who create riots reap political benefits. This day reminds us that there should be no riots, but peace", Banerjee said while addressing a huge rally of Trinamool Congress activists near the Gandhi statue here.
"We observe December 6 as national Integration Day every year. I have seen the ugly face of riots in the post-Babri Masjid demolition in 1992. I had been on the streets of Kolkata day and night to stand beside the affected. Many had died, but those who engineered the riots were sleeping.
"When I went to Loreto School at Sealdah to provide food to the affected, I met Mother Teresa there," she said.
Banerjee said when the riots broke out in 1992 "I went to Jyoti Basu (then Chief Minister) when Buddha`babu (former Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee) was present and asked them if any help was needed. None of them were on the streets (that time)".
"There are some bad people who are at work to create disharmony. The state government would not allow to foment riots. A life lost, is lost forever". She said while addressing the rally, which was attended by several ministers and party MPs and legislators.
The Left parties have also been observing December 6 as Anti-communal Day since 1993 to condemn the demolition and to spread the message of communal harmony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez