Won`t work against anybody`s interest: Tata on Singur
Mumbai: Two days after the West Bengal government moved the Supreme Court on the Singur issue, Tata Group Chairman Ratan Tata on Friday said his company will not work against anybody`s interests as long as it is within laws.
The West Bengal government on August 7 moved the Supreme Court against the Calcutta High Court order, which struck down the Singur Land Act that allowed the state government to reclaim 400 acres of land given to Tata Motors.
"We will not work against anybody`s interest so long as it is not against our laws," Tata said at the 67th Annual General Meeting of Tata Motors here today.
Tata Motors had acquired the Singur land from the previous Left government for its Nano project. However, it ran into troubles due to local agitation against land acquisition. When Mamata Banerjee-led TMC came to power, the land was reclaimed through the Singur Land Rehabilitation and Development Act 2011.
Tata said the fact remains that the land has been taken for farmers to cultivate, (but) that land is no longer cultivable because it is covered and concreted.
"At the height of the Singur disagreement, we had opted to buy an equivalent land across the street and make that available to the farmers, but that proposal was rejected," he said.
Whatever the court decides we will abide by it, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez