Youth held for rape attempt on blind girl
Burdwan: A 19-year-old youth was arrested for allegedly attempting to rape a blind girl here at Purbasthali village of Nasratpur`s Dangapara area, police said on Monday.
The incident happened yesterday evening when the 14-year-old blind girl was alone and the accused, identified as Chottu Sheikh taking advantage of that, allegedly barged into the house and tried to rape her, they said.
Hearing the girl screaming, her mother and sister, who went to attend a function in the neighbourhood, rushed to the house when Chottu, who is a neighbour, fled, the girl`s father alleged in his FIR, police said.
Chottu was arrested this morning and was taken to the Kalka SDJM court where police would ask for a five-day custody, they said.
Incidentally, the girl who studies in a blind school of Nabadwip had come back home on Saturday to spend holiday because of the Saraswati Puja.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees