Youth held for rape attempt on blind girl
Burdwan: A 19-year-old youth was arrested for allegedly attempting to rape a blind girl here at Purbasthali village of Nasratpur`s Dangapara area, police said on Monday.
The incident happened yesterday evening when the 14-year-old blind girl was alone and the accused, identified as Chottu Sheikh taking advantage of that, allegedly barged into the house and tried to rape her, they said.
Hearing the girl screaming, her mother and sister, who went to attend a function in the neighbourhood, rushed to the house when Chottu, who is a neighbour, fled, the girl`s father alleged in his FIR, police said.
Chottu was arrested this morning and was taken to the Kalka SDJM court where police would ask for a five-day custody, they said.
Incidentally, the girl who studies in a blind school of Nabadwip had come back home on Saturday to spend holiday because of the Saraswati Puja.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- British PM Theresa May heads to N. Ireland for Brexit talks
- Rio Olympics: WADA 'disappointed' as IOC fails to ban Russia for mega event
- Al Qaeda chief urges kidnappings of Westerners for prisoner swaps - SITE
- Japan logs first half-year trade surplus since Fukushima
- Attacks on France, Germany their own fault: Donald Trump