Eight killed in two successive blasts in Egypt
Cairo: At least eight people were killed and 28 others injured in two successive blasts in Egypt`s Sinai peninsula, a military statement said Monday.
According to the statement, seven civilians were killed and 25 injured late Sunday when a rocket fell in Sinai`s northern city of al-Arish, Xinhua reported.
The rocket was mainly targeting north Sinai`s security compound but it hit a nearby populated area instead, the statement said.
In a separate attack, two rockets hit a security camp in the same city killing one person and injuring three others, the statement added.
There has been a surge in attacks by extremist militant groups mounted mainly in the restive Sinai Peninsula and some other provinces across the country, including the capital Cairo, since the military ousted the former Islamist president Mohamed Morsi last year.
More than 500 soldiers and police personnel have been killed across the country in revenge for the harsh security crackdown on the major sit-ins by Morsi`s supporters in August, which left at least 1,000 people killed and thousands arrested.
Sinai-based Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis group claimed responsibility for most of the attacks against the security personnel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan