KAAPA to be introduced in next phase of `Operation Kubera`
Kochi: Continuing its drive against those involved in illegal money lending business in Kerala, Home Minister Ramesh Chennithala on Saturday said the stringent Kerala Anti-Social Acivities (Prevention) Act would be introduced against them in the next phase of `Operation Kubera`.
Illegal money lending business needs to be curbed, Chennithala said addressing a seminar here which was attended by District Collectors and top police officers of the state.
Pointing that efforts were being made to torpedo `Operation Kubera`, he said the drive against the loan sharks would continue irrespective of political affiliations.
Stern action would be taken against police officials found involved with the illegal money lenders, he said.
Chennithala said there were also plans to amend the Goondas Act to bring those involved in money-chain business under the act`s purview.
As per the act, those arrested can be put under preventive detention for six months without trial. There were also plans to increase it to a year for which IPC and CrPC will have to be amended, he said, adding, this was also under the government`s consideration.
Over 500 persons have been taken into custody throughout the state after the launch of `Operation Kubera` against illegal money lenders.
Government had stepped up action against private money lenders popularily known as `blade mafia` following the recent suicide of five members of a family due to indebtedness and threat from goons engaged by money lenders.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley