Villagers pay tribute to fallen trees to mark Environment Day
Zee Media Bureau
Raipur: As a mark of respect and tribute to the environment, villagers in Ambikapur came up with a an unique gesture. To mark World Environment Day ,villagers in Ambikapur district of Chhattisgarh held condolence meet to mourn cutting of trees in the region.
Reportedly around 200 Sal trees were cut down by some locals in Chikhlidih village of Ambikapur district. This meet was held after this incident on the directive of the district collector , Ritu Sen. She informed that a large number of people turned up in the gathering and also pledged not to cut any more trees and plant more saplings in the village this monsoon.
Many such incidents were reported in the past in the region and actions were taken in all cases but despite that villagers continued to commit the offence, she added.
After noticing that barely an action was not enough to make villagers realise about the importance of trees, administration came up with an idea to promote environment conservation and make villagers aware of it, Sen said.
"After a discussion with people in the region, we decided to hold a condolence meet to pay tribute to the trees which were cut down," she added.
The villagers admitted their mistake and agreed to organise such gatherings after 10 days of any incident of tree cutting and observe `dasgatra` (ritual of offering prayer by deceased`s family after ten days of death) and condolence meet, she said.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui