World Environment Day: India’s environmental performance
Zee Research Group/Delhi
Sixty plus years of Independence yet no freedom from pollution!
A. Where does India stand globally on the environment feat?
India has slipped 32 ranks in the global Environment Performance Index (EPI) 2014 to rank a lowly 155 and its capital Delhi has earned the dubious tag of being the world’s most polluted city. In 2010, India was at rank 122.
A World Bank report 2013 out of that surveyed 132 countries India ranked at 126th position for environmental performance and worst for air pollution.
B. Growing pollution in Indian cities
According to World Health Organisation’s (WHO) report released on May 7, 2014, Delhi had dirtiest atmosphere of 1,600 cities around the world.
The latest urban air-quality database released by the World Health Organisation confirms that most Indian cities are becoming death traps because of very high air pollution levels
According to Centre for Science and Environment 13 of the 20 most polluted cities in the world were in India
According Teri environmental survey 2014, air quality had worsened and the number of bird species had declined in Coimbatore, Delhi, Guwahati, Indore, Jamshedpur, Kanpur, Mumbai and Pune.
Majority of respondents (90 per cent) who participated in the TERI survey felt that climate change was a reality and a majority out of those felt that average temperatures had risen and rainfall levels had gone down over time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'