1 dead, 28,000 affected by snowstorms in Xinjiang
Beijing: One person was killed and 28,000 others have been affected after snowstorms swept across much of China`s northwest Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region.
Local authorities have relocated 6,263 people affected by the snowstorms, which started to hit central and northern parts of Xinjiang from Monday, state run Xinhua reported.
Heavy snowfall, which brought 30 cm to 1 meter of snow to some regions, halted road traffic, destroyed vegetable greenhouses and posed difficulties for feeding livestock in the Mount Tianshan region in Xinjiang, according to the regional meteorological bureau.
Moreover, 518 houses collapsed and over 275 houses were seriously damaged in the snowstorms.
Direct economic losses were estimated at over 72.94 million yuan (about USD 11.7 million).
As of Thursday, local governments had allotted relief funds of 2.66 million yuan and relief supplies, including fuel, coal, rice and clothes, to the snowstorm-hit regions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case