1 dead, 5 rescued from US racing sailboat accident
San Diego: A sailor died and five others were rescued after abandoning a racing boat that lost its steering capability and drifted to an island off Southern California, where it was broken apart by crashing waves.
The Coast Guard says the crew issued a mayday call last night after the 9-metre sailboat`s rudder failed and the craft began drifting toward the rocky shore of San Clemente Island.
Petty Officer Connie Gawrelli says the crew declined assistance from the Coast Guard and requested a tow boat. However, rough seas kept that boat from reaching them.
An organiser of the Islands Race says the crew encountered more bad luck when attempts to deploy a life raft and anchor the boat failed.
Gawrelli said the accident occurred amid 2.4-metre swells and strong winds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre