1 dead, 5 rescued from US racing sailboat accident
San Diego: A sailor died and five others were rescued after abandoning a racing boat that lost its steering capability and drifted to an island off Southern California, where it was broken apart by crashing waves.
The Coast Guard says the crew issued a mayday call last night after the 9-metre sailboat`s rudder failed and the craft began drifting toward the rocky shore of San Clemente Island.
Petty Officer Connie Gawrelli says the crew declined assistance from the Coast Guard and requested a tow boat. However, rough seas kept that boat from reaching them.
An organiser of the Islands Race says the crew encountered more bad luck when attempts to deploy a life raft and anchor the boat failed.
Gawrelli said the accident occurred amid 2.4-metre swells and strong winds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi participates in SCO annual meet in Tashkent
- Pink auto introduced in Ghaziabad specifically for women
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Not in the best of form, Roger Federer reaches crossroads at Wimbledon
- Lodha panel's recommendations could take cricket 20 years back, feels Anurag Thakur
- Future of cinema is internet movies, says Kangana Ranaut
- Campus violence: AMU expels 11 students, suspends 17 others
- Mandy Moore, Ryan Adams officially divorced