1 dead, 5 rescued from US racing sailboat accident
San Diego: A sailor died and five others were rescued after abandoning a racing boat that lost its steering capability and drifted to an island off Southern California, where it was broken apart by crashing waves.
The Coast Guard says the crew issued a mayday call last night after the 9-metre sailboat`s rudder failed and the craft began drifting toward the rocky shore of San Clemente Island.
Petty Officer Connie Gawrelli says the crew declined assistance from the Coast Guard and requested a tow boat. However, rough seas kept that boat from reaching them.
An organiser of the Islands Race says the crew encountered more bad luck when attempts to deploy a life raft and anchor the boat failed.
Gawrelli said the accident occurred amid 2.4-metre swells and strong winds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you