10 Indians among 15 Asian workers killed in Dubai road mishap
Dubai: At least 10 Indian workers were among 15 people killed when the bus they were travelling in rammed into a parked truck on the busy Emirates road here.
The bus hit the parked truck, flipped on its left side and skidded for five meters, killing 13 people on the spot including Indians and Bangladeshis yesterday, police said.
The 30-seater minibus with Sharjah number plate was carrying 27 workers to their worksite in Jebel Ali when it hit the rear of the truck on Emirates Road, a busy route that connects the capital Abu Dhabi to the north of the UAE.
Thirteen workers, including Indians, died on the spot while two others succumbed to their injuries at a hospital.
All the 10 Indians killed were from Bihar, an official from the Indian Consulate here told PTI.
Some injured Indian and Bangladeshi workers were taken to Rashid and Al Baraha Hospitals for treatment.
The mangled wreckage of the bus had to be cut open to free the victims, said Lt Col Ahmed Atiq Burqibah, deputy director of rescue at Dubai Police.
"It`s definitely the biggest accident so far this year," he was quoted as saying in local media. "So many people died and so many others were injured. It was a big disaster."
Maj-Gen Khamis Mattar Al Mazeina, Commander-in-Chief, Dubai Police, were among first to rush to the accident site.
Further investigations are on.
Expatriates, many of them Asian, make up the great majority of Dubai`s 2.2 million population.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says