100 Biafra separatists arrested in Nigeria
Abuja: More than 100 separatists arrested in south-eastern Nigeria as they marched and waved flags of defunct state of Biafra.
The group of young men under the aegis of the Biafra Zionist Movement (BZM) had earlier vowed to re-declared a new Independent Biafra republic.
Enugu state police spokesman Ebere Amarizu confirmed the arrest and said that those arrested were suspected members of BZM led by one Ben Onwuka.
They were immediately arraigned before an Enugu magistrates` court and subsequently remanded to custody.
More than one million people died during the 1967-70 Biafran conflict - mostly from hunger and disease.
The Biafran leaders were mostly from the Igbo ethnic group, whose members were targeted by rioters in northern areas following a 1966 coup seen as being led by Igbo officers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city