100 Biafra separatists arrested in Nigeria
Abuja: More than 100 separatists arrested in south-eastern Nigeria as they marched and waved flags of defunct state of Biafra.
The group of young men under the aegis of the Biafra Zionist Movement (BZM) had earlier vowed to re-declared a new Independent Biafra republic.
Enugu state police spokesman Ebere Amarizu confirmed the arrest and said that those arrested were suspected members of BZM led by one Ben Onwuka.
They were immediately arraigned before an Enugu magistrates` court and subsequently remanded to custody.
More than one million people died during the 1967-70 Biafran conflict - mostly from hunger and disease.
The Biafran leaders were mostly from the Igbo ethnic group, whose members were targeted by rioters in northern areas following a 1966 coup seen as being led by Igbo officers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming