100 charged in Egypt-US cyber fraud case
Cairo: Nearly 100 people have been charged
in the US and Egypt with a computer "phishing" identity theft
scam involving USD 2 million in one of the largest cyber fraud
cases till date in the American history.
After a two-year probe code named `Operation Phish Phry`
involving US and Egypt, officials of both countries have
cracked a "phishing" identity theft scam involving American
The Egyptian Ministry of Interior Spokesperson, Hamdi
Abdel Karim, has said that the Egyptians involved did not
reside in the US at any of time point but are "mere talented
Around 50 Egyptian citizens have been charged with crimes
including computer fraud, conspiracy to commit bank fraud,
money laundering and aggravated identify theft.
While, more than 50 individuals in California, Nevada and
North Carolina have also been arrested, according to FBI
Director Robert Mueller.
The fraudsters stole financial information of thousands
of account holders in US by creating identical bank websites
and gathering vital information and later transferred about USD
2 million to bogus accounts they controlled, the FBI said.
FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said about 100 arrests were
expected across the US states of California, Nevada and North
Carolina as well as in Egypt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you