100 flights cancelled as snow hits Beijing
Beijing: More than 100 flights were cancelled Sunday following heavy snowfall in the Chinese capital.
As many as 115 flights scheduled to depart from or arrive at the Beijing Capital International Airport were cancelled as of 7 p.m., Xinhua reported.
Beijing has the world`s second-busiest airport by passenger volume. In 2012, the airport saw passenger volumes reach 81.8 million, second only to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport in the US.
Some of Sunday`s cancellations were due to foul weather in other cities, as many parts of China were hit by a new cold snap.
The airport mobilised more than 800 workers and 230 automobiles to remove ice and snow from planes, runways and parking areas, an official said.
More than 1,500 planes carrying 114,000 passengers would have flown from the airport Sunday, the official said.
Light to moderate snow is expected across north China till Tuesday while heavy rain will also hit many places, meteorological authorities said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’