1,000 migrants repulsed at Spanish border
Madrid: Officials say around 1,000 migrants of sub-Saharan origin attempted to storm Spain`s three-tier barbed-wire border fence separating its North African enclave of Melilla from Morocco, but failed in their bid to enter Europe.
A regional government statement said fewer than 10 persons managed to overcome the first barrier in today`s charge. They were taken away by Moroccan police.
The statement says Spain`s border guards detected the charge in an area known as "Villa Pilar" and deployed a helicopter to oversee operations.
Spain and Morocco stepped up border vigilance in February after 15 migrants drowned trying to reach Ceuta. The border was recently strengthened with a new type of mesh barrier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery