11 dead in new Nigeria sectarian attack: Spokesman
Jos (Nigeria): Muslim herdsmen disguised as
soldiers killed at least 11 people in an attack today on a
Christian village in Nigeria, close to the site of a recent
sectarian massacre, officials said.
Most of the victims of the raid on the village in the
Riyom region of central Plateau state were women and children,
state radio reported.
The police and government officials confirmed the
"We received reports of an overnight attack on Riyom by
people suspected to be Fulani herdsmen. Our men are already
there to assess the casualty and the situation," Plateau state
police spokesman Lerama Mohammed told.
A spokesman for the state government said that more than
10 people from the mainly Christian Berom clan had lost their
lives in the attack.
"We heard of the attack on Riyom by some Fulanis. From
what I have gathered, more than 10 people were killed," Dan
Manjang, who hails from Riyom, some 15 kilometres (nine
miles) south of the state capital Jos, said he was on going to
the village to assess the situation.
Simon Wapmok, chairman of the local municipality, was
quoted as saying by state radio that he alerted the police and
military authorities about the attack which took place at
around 0130 am, but that help came too late.
The attackers were said to be dressed in army camouflage,
said the radio, putting the death toll at 11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...