11 dead in new Nigeria sectarian attack: Spokesman
Jos (Nigeria): Muslim herdsmen disguised as
soldiers killed at least 11 people in an attack today on a
Christian village in Nigeria, close to the site of a recent
sectarian massacre, officials said.
Most of the victims of the raid on the village in the
Riyom region of central Plateau state were women and children,
state radio reported.
The police and government officials confirmed the
"We received reports of an overnight attack on Riyom by
people suspected to be Fulani herdsmen. Our men are already
there to assess the casualty and the situation," Plateau state
police spokesman Lerama Mohammed told.
A spokesman for the state government said that more than
10 people from the mainly Christian Berom clan had lost their
lives in the attack.
"We heard of the attack on Riyom by some Fulanis. From
what I have gathered, more than 10 people were killed," Dan
Manjang, who hails from Riyom, some 15 kilometres (nine
miles) south of the state capital Jos, said he was on going to
the village to assess the situation.
Simon Wapmok, chairman of the local municipality, was
quoted as saying by state radio that he alerted the police and
military authorities about the attack which took place at
around 0130 am, but that help came too late.
The attackers were said to be dressed in army camouflage,
said the radio, putting the death toll at 11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened