11 killed in traffic accident in Algeria
Algiers: As many as 11 people were killed and 28 others injured in a deadly traffic accident Sunday in Algeria`s Ouargla province, some 800 km southeast of here, authorities said.
The accident occurred Sunday on the national road No. 56 linking the localities of Ouargla and Touggourt as a truck and a bus collided, Xinhua quoted the firefighting department as saying in a statement.
An investigation was launched by the National Gendarme to determine the circumstances of this tragic accident.
Official figures show that road accident killed 3,737 people and injured 48,875 others in 2012.
A driving licence demerit point system is still not in force in Algeria though it was approved by the transport ministry in 2012.
This new driving licence is seen as an efficient step to curb the alarming increase of deadly car accidents in the north African nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown