11 Muslim Brotherhood members sentenced to life
Cairo: Fifty-six members of Muslim Brotherhood were on Tuesday sentenced, including 11 to life imprisonment, by an Egyptian military court on charges of acts of "aggression" against the Army in Suez city last month.
In the first such sentencing since the ouster of former president Mohamed Morsi on July 3, the Suez military court sentenced 11 Islamists to 25 years in jail, while 45 others were given five years. Eight others were acquitted.
The Islamists were accused of assaulting army troops, burning military vehicles, throwing Molotov cocktails and attacking churches in Suez governorate following the August 14 military crackdown on pro-Morsi sit-ins in Cairo and Giza.
The court started the trial of 64 Muslim Brotherhood members and supporters of ousted President Morsi today, state media reported.
The military trial was held at Agroud, on the Suez-Cairo highway.
The military prosecutor accused defendants of incitement, aiding and abetting the killing of citizens, burning down three churches in Suez and setting ablaze Third Field Army armoured vehicles, as well as attacking public facilities and spreading chaos.
Clashes were reported in Suez between supporters and opponents of Morsi after the military carried out a deadly crackdown on August 14 in the Cairo`s Rabaa al-Adawiya and Nahda squares, killing hundreds.
It was the deadliest such crackdown in Egypt`s recent history.
Since then Egyptian authorities have carried out a relentless crackdown against Islamists in which more than 1,000 people have been killed and some 2,000 members of the Brotherhood arrested.
Brotherhood`s supreme guide Mohamed Badie has also been arrested, while Morsi has been in custody since his ouster.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city