11 people hospitalized after Moscow subway fire
Moscow: A rush-hour fire in Moscow`s subway today injured dozens of people, forced the evacuation of thousands of commuters and closed parts of the network, authorities said.
The fire started after a power cable caught fire in a tunnel leading to the Okhotny Ryad station adjacent to Red Square, the Emergencies Ministry said in a statement.
The ministry said nearly 60 people sought medical help and 11 were hospitalized. Most of them suffered from smoke inhalation. Thousands were evacuated.
As firefighters were putting out the fire, authorities closed one of the subway lines that cuts through central Moscow. Eyewitnesses say central Moscow streets were thronged with crowds who ended up walking to work.
The subway resumed regular service by noon Moscow time, but half an hour later officials again shut part of the line after they found a smoldering cable at another tunnel next to the Okhotny Ryad station. Normal service resumed two hours later.
Moscow`s subway is an essential transport link, serving up to 7 million people a day. Station or line closures are highly unusual for the network, which has the reputation of being the city`s most reliable means of transport.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users