11 sect members killed in shootout in Nigeria
Abuja: Eleven members of a radical
Islamist sect have been killed in a shootout with security forces in the northeastern city of Maiduguri, Nigeria`s military said.
The shootout on Saturday night followed an attack on soldiers by suspected members of the Boko Haram sect.
"Three soldiers were injured when suspected members of
the sect threw an improvised bomb and shot at a patrol team,"
Colonel Victor Ebhaleme, spokesman of the Joint Military Task
Force (JTF), said.
The JTF is aware that some members of the general
public have prior information on attacks on security agencies
and willingly allow their premises to be used for such acts
without reporting to the security agencies, Ebhaleme said in a
"The attack was successfully repelled...and 11 members
of the sect were killed," he added.
Yesterday, at least three people were killed and several others injured in a bomb blast at a church in Suleja
near Nigeria`s capital Abuja.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official