118-carat white diamond fetches record $30mn at auction
Johannesburg: A 118.28-carat diamond has smashed a world record by fetching more than 30 million dollars at a Hong Kong auction.
The diamond was sold to a phone bidder at the Sotheby`s auction for 30.6million dollars, while the earlier estimates valued the finest of its kind ever egg-shaped stone at 28-35 million dollars.
According to News24, the stone, dubbed the ` Magnificent Oval Diamond `, was discovered in a deep mine in an undisclosed southern African country in 2011 and weighed 299 carats before being cut.
Described by the auction house as `the largest D colour flawless diamond` beat the record set at a diamond auction last year, when a 101.73-carat diamond was sold for 26.7million dollars.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Make your smoothie a successful summer diet with these magical ingredients!
- Delhi govt introduces 'Change-makers in education' fellowship
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'