118-carat white diamond fetches record $30mn at auction
Johannesburg: A 118.28-carat diamond has smashed a world record by fetching more than 30 million dollars at a Hong Kong auction.
The diamond was sold to a phone bidder at the Sotheby`s auction for 30.6million dollars, while the earlier estimates valued the finest of its kind ever egg-shaped stone at 28-35 million dollars.
According to News24, the stone, dubbed the ` Magnificent Oval Diamond `, was discovered in a deep mine in an undisclosed southern African country in 2011 and weighed 299 carats before being cut.
Described by the auction house as `the largest D colour flawless diamond` beat the record set at a diamond auction last year, when a 101.73-carat diamond was sold for 26.7million dollars.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'