118-carat white diamond fetches record $30mn at auction
Johannesburg: A 118.28-carat diamond has smashed a world record by fetching more than 30 million dollars at a Hong Kong auction.
The diamond was sold to a phone bidder at the Sotheby`s auction for 30.6million dollars, while the earlier estimates valued the finest of its kind ever egg-shaped stone at 28-35 million dollars.
According to News24, the stone, dubbed the ` Magnificent Oval Diamond `, was discovered in a deep mine in an undisclosed southern African country in 2011 and weighed 299 carats before being cut.
Described by the auction house as `the largest D colour flawless diamond` beat the record set at a diamond auction last year, when a 101.73-carat diamond was sold for 26.7million dollars.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- French Open 2016: Andy Murray, Stan Wawrinka face Czech challenge in Paris
- Iraq PM announces start of operation to retake Fallujah
- Amnesty warns Yemen civilians face cluster bombs `minefields`
- KTM 1290 Super Duke R based Husqvarna 1301 spotted testing
- 17 girls dead in fire at school dormitory in Thailand