11th Panchen Lama misses top post in China`s elite body
Beijing: China, which brought its handpicked 11th Panchen Lama into political limelight by making him the member of a top advisory body, has not picked him for the post of group`s deputy chairman contrary to speculation.
Gyaincain Norbu (20), picked by China to counter the Dalai Lama`s nominee Gendun Choekyi Nyima (20) for slot of second most important Tibetan monk, stole the limelight at the inaugural of the Chinese Peoples Political Consultative Conference comprising of over 2200 top professionals from various fields selected by the ruling Chinese Communist party.
Gendun Choekyi Nyima, was named as the reincarnation of the 10th Panchen Lama in 1995 by the Dalai Lama, Tibetan Buddhism`s highest figure whom Beijing views as a separatist. The boy and his family, who are from a remote part of Tibet, have not been heard from since.
"China`s pick as the 11th Panchen Lama is at least a year away from receiving the honorific title of CPPCC deputy chairman, with the advisory group set to select another candidate for the top job," The Hong Kong-based South China Morning Post said today.
"But he still has the central government`s blessing and support as China`s face of Tibetan Buddhism. His portrait is rarely hung in Tibetan homes, however, unlike the show of respect paid to his predecessor and the 14th Dalai Lama," it said.
The Panchen Lama who was said to have been carefully groomed by Beijing to project him as the living Buddha to rival Dalai Lama was speculated to become one of more than 20 vice chairmen of CPPCC, a post that bestows state leadership rank.
He was expected to replace a fellow Tibetan late Ngapoi Ngawang Jigme. But as the CPPCC ended its session yesterday, former Macau chief executive Edmund Ho Hau-wah is the only candidate on the list. It means the Panchen Lama could only make it next year. It has been tradition to enrol religious figureheads in the CPPCC as part of Beijing`s strategy to tighten its control on the influence of religions.
Gyaincain Norbu`s predecessor, the 10th Panchen Lama, was a CPPCC delegate and made a vice-chairman in 1954, at the age of 16, the Post said.
Elliot Sperling, an expert on Tibet issues from Indiana University`s Central Eurasia Studies Centre, said the delay in the Panchen Lama`s elevation was designed to avoid making his rise seem too precipitous.
"It`s somewhat funny that with regard to the Dalai Lama, China insists he should not be mixing religion and politics, yet China`s Panchen Lama is appointed to a political post with no questions," Sperling said.
Thubten Samphel, a spokesman for the Tibetan government in exile, said the appointment of Gyaincain Norbu as a CPPCC delegate would not be of any significance to the Tibetan people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo