12 dead, 32 trapped in latest China mine disaster
A gas explosion at a mine in central China killed 12 workers and trapped 32 underground, state media said on Thursday, the second major mine disaster in the country this week.
Beijing: A gas explosion at a mine in
central China killed 12 workers and trapped 32 underground,
state media said on Thursday, the second major mine disaster in the
country this week.
Fifty miners were able to escape after yesterday
evening blast, which was caused by an underground gas leak,
the Xinhua News Agency said, citing in Henan province`s
governor, Guo Gengmao. It`s possible the trapped miners
survived the explosion, he was cited as saying.
About 100 rescue workers were trying to reached the
trapped workers at the privately owned Guomin Mining Co. coal
pit in Yichuan County of Luoyang City, Xinhua said. The mine
had been under renovation.
Mine boss Wang Guozheng has disappeared and
authorities ordered his assets frozen in the wake of the
accident, Xinhua said. Yichuan County Chief Wu Ligang and
three other county officials were fired.
News of the explosion came as rescue work continued
at a mine in northern China`s Shanxi province, four days after
153 workers were trapped underground when water flooded the
shaft where they were working.
The flood at the Wangjialing mine started when
workers digging tunnels broke through into an old shaft filled
with water, a government safety body said, accusing mine
officials of ignoring safety rules and danger warnings in a
rush to open the mine.