12 dead, 32 trapped in latest China mine disaster
Beijing: A gas explosion at a mine in
central China killed 12 workers and trapped 32 underground,
state media said on Thursday, the second major mine disaster in the
country this week.
Fifty miners were able to escape after yesterday
evening blast, which was caused by an underground gas leak,
the Xinhua News Agency said, citing in Henan province`s
governor, Guo Gengmao. It`s possible the trapped miners
survived the explosion, he was cited as saying.
About 100 rescue workers were trying to reached the
trapped workers at the privately owned Guomin Mining Co. coal
pit in Yichuan County of Luoyang City, Xinhua said. The mine
had been under renovation.
Mine boss Wang Guozheng has disappeared and
authorities ordered his assets frozen in the wake of the
accident, Xinhua said. Yichuan County Chief Wu Ligang and
three other county officials were fired.
News of the explosion came as rescue work continued
at a mine in northern China`s Shanxi province, four days after
153 workers were trapped underground when water flooded the
shaft where they were working.
The flood at the Wangjialing mine started when
workers digging tunnels broke through into an old shaft filled
with water, a government safety body said, accusing mine
officials of ignoring safety rules and danger warnings in a
rush to open the mine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report