12 dead illegal immigrants found off Libya coast
Tripoli: Twelve bodies of illegal immigrants were found off the coast near Libya`s capital city of Tripoli, the media reported Saturday.
The bodies were found in the past two days and were reported to be of illegal immigrants, the official LANA agency quoted mayor of Tajura district Hosain Al-Zarroog as saying, Xinhua reported.
The bodies were highly decomposed and were taken immediately to Tripoli Medical Hospital.
Al-Zarroog said the dead might only consist a small part of the batch of stowaways and warned the bodies could spread diseases if not handled timely.
On July 5, Libya`s coast guard frogmen also found a wooden boat with 13 decomposed bodies of the illegal immigrants.
Libya has long been a transit point for migrants seeking to reach Malta, Italy, and other places in Europe because of its proximity and relatively loose border control.
The Libyan government earlier this month established an agency in cooperation with neighbouring countries to combat illegal immigration and smuggling.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur