12 dead illegal immigrants found off Libya coast
Tripoli: Twelve bodies of illegal immigrants were found off the coast near Libya`s capital city of Tripoli, the media reported Saturday.
The bodies were found in the past two days and were reported to be of illegal immigrants, the official LANA agency quoted mayor of Tajura district Hosain Al-Zarroog as saying, Xinhua reported.
The bodies were highly decomposed and were taken immediately to Tripoli Medical Hospital.
Al-Zarroog said the dead might only consist a small part of the batch of stowaways and warned the bodies could spread diseases if not handled timely.
On July 5, Libya`s coast guard frogmen also found a wooden boat with 13 decomposed bodies of the illegal immigrants.
Libya has long been a transit point for migrants seeking to reach Malta, Italy, and other places in Europe because of its proximity and relatively loose border control.
The Libyan government earlier this month established an agency in cooperation with neighbouring countries to combat illegal immigration and smuggling.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation