12 die in Chinese coal mine accident, five held
Beijing: Five coal mine executives were detained after 12 people died in an explosion in a mine in north China`s Shanxi province, authorities said Monday.
The accident occurred at 11.30 pm Sunday when 16 miners were working in a shaft in the Donggou Colliery Co. Ltd. in Jiexiu city, said a spokesman with the Shanxi Provincial Work Safety Administration, Xinhua reported.
The mine was expanding its annual production capacity from the authorised 30 tonnes. The workers violated a safety rule that prohibited the demolition of a wall between the shaft and a disused area of the mine where the gas was accumulated in high density, the spokesman said.
The four survivors were under observation in hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!