12 die in Chinese coal mine accident, five held
Beijing: Five coal mine executives were detained after 12 people died in an explosion in a mine in north China`s Shanxi province, authorities said Monday.
The accident occurred at 11.30 pm Sunday when 16 miners were working in a shaft in the Donggou Colliery Co. Ltd. in Jiexiu city, said a spokesman with the Shanxi Provincial Work Safety Administration, Xinhua reported.
The mine was expanding its annual production capacity from the authorised 30 tonnes. The workers violated a safety rule that prohibited the demolition of a wall between the shaft and a disused area of the mine where the gas was accumulated in high density, the spokesman said.
The four survivors were under observation in hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’