12 killed in clashes: Kenya Red Cross
Nairobi: Fighting between a community of cattle herders and farmers over land and water killed 12 people on Friday in Kenya`s southeastern region, the Kenya Red Cross said.
The two communities periodically clash over resources but this incident may also have politically instigated because it fits a pattern of violence which has occurred in three previous elections, according to the Red Cross.
Kenya will hold elections in six months.
The Kenya Red Cross said another 10 people were wounded in the fighting in Tana River delta, near where more than 52 people from the Orma tribe of semi-nomadic cattle herders were killed late last month by member of the Pokomo tribe of farmers.
Mohammed Morowa, a Pokomo, said on the phone that the 11 of those killed in the dawn attack were his relatives and that the killing was retaliation by members of the Orma tribe over the killing of their community members last month.
Morowa said tens of grass thatched houses were burned at Chamwanamuma village region. The attackers used guns, arrows and machetes, Morowa said.
More than 200 people have died since January in several separate clashes that follow the pattern of pre-election violence that Kenya has suffered in most elections since the early 1990s, the Kenya Red Cross said recently.
Violence occurred before voting in three out of four of Kenya`s elections since 1992. The exception was the December 2007 polls, when deadly clashes erupted after voting. That violence was set off by a dispute over who won the presidential contest.
What started as street protests over the presidential results, which international observers said was flawed, soon degenerated into tribe-versus-tribe violence, in which ethnic groups that had rallied behind an opposition movement targeted members of President Kibaki`s Kikuyu community and other tribes that had supported him.
More than 1,000 people died and 600,000 people were displaced from their homes in the wave of violence that lasted for two months.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory