12 killed in clashes: Kenya Red Cross
Nairobi: Fighting between a community of cattle herders and farmers over land and water killed 12 people on Friday in Kenya`s southeastern region, the Kenya Red Cross said.
The two communities periodically clash over resources but this incident may also have politically instigated because it fits a pattern of violence which has occurred in three previous elections, according to the Red Cross.
Kenya will hold elections in six months.
The Kenya Red Cross said another 10 people were wounded in the fighting in Tana River delta, near where more than 52 people from the Orma tribe of semi-nomadic cattle herders were killed late last month by member of the Pokomo tribe of farmers.
Mohammed Morowa, a Pokomo, said on the phone that the 11 of those killed in the dawn attack were his relatives and that the killing was retaliation by members of the Orma tribe over the killing of their community members last month.
Morowa said tens of grass thatched houses were burned at Chamwanamuma village region. The attackers used guns, arrows and machetes, Morowa said.
More than 200 people have died since January in several separate clashes that follow the pattern of pre-election violence that Kenya has suffered in most elections since the early 1990s, the Kenya Red Cross said recently.
Violence occurred before voting in three out of four of Kenya`s elections since 1992. The exception was the December 2007 polls, when deadly clashes erupted after voting. That violence was set off by a dispute over who won the presidential contest.
What started as street protests over the presidential results, which international observers said was flawed, soon degenerated into tribe-versus-tribe violence, in which ethnic groups that had rallied behind an opposition movement targeted members of President Kibaki`s Kikuyu community and other tribes that had supported him.
More than 1,000 people died and 600,000 people were displaced from their homes in the wave of violence that lasted for two months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured