12-member terror cell arrested: Jordan police
Amman: Police in the Jordanian capital say they have arrested a 12-member "terrorist cell" and seized "large quantities" of arms and ammunition.
A police statement on Wednesday says the pre-dawn arrest took place in a middle-class district northwest of Amman.
It provides no other details but a security official says the suspects are "outlaws plotting to disturb public order." He insisted that those arrested were not linked to neighbouring Syria or the civil war there.
The official declined to elaborate pending an ongoing investigation. He insisted on anonymity because he is not permitted to make public statements until the probe is completed.
Jordan is concerned that Syria may use `sleeping cells` to undermine security in its smaller southern neighbour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan had achieved nuclear capability in 1984: Abdul Qadeer Khan
- Pakistan able to target Delhi from Kahuta near Rawalpindi in five minutes: Dr Abdul Qadeer Khan
- US zoo kills gorilla after 3-year-old boy falls into enclosure
- EC cancels polls for two remaining Tamil Nadu Assembly seats - Know why
- Cloudbursts, rainfall in Tehri district of Uttarakhand; Gangotri-Kedarnath road closed, pilgrims stranded