122 missing as boat carrying Rohingya refugees
Dhaka: At least 122 people, many of them suspected to be Myanmar`s Rohingya refugees, were feared missing when a boat carrying them to Malaysia sank in the Bay of Bengal near Bangladeshi waters, officials said on Wednesday.
"According to one of the six survivors, at least 122 people are still missing in the sea after the trawler capsized with 128 people onboard on October 27," Border Guard Bangladesh`s (BGB) commanding officer of the Cox`s Bazar region Lieutenant Colonel Zahid Hassan told PTI over phone.
He said the Bangladeshi survivor, Abu Bakar, told BGB that illegal manpower traders allured them of good jobs in Malaysia and arranged their trip in an engine boat, locally called trawler with capacity to carry as high as 70 people.
"The overloaded boat capsized apparently after being hit by an undersea rock causing a crack on its bottom, when its engine also went out of order," Hassan said.
He said two of the survivers were suspected to be Rohingyas who took refuge in Bangladesh coast several years ago, but insisted that most of the passengers were Bangladeshis, contrary to what appeared in some international media.
"The navy or coastguards were yet to find any body in the sea though some fishermen said they saw several bodies were floating on the deep sea," he said.
Cox`s Bazar police said six survivers were rescued by fishing boats around and one of them reported the accident to BGB and police but they four others were yet to report fearing punitive actions for their illegal adventure.
But another surviver told a group of local journalists that brokers collected nearly 150 people from the coastlines and took Taka 40,000 to 50,000 from each promising them to take to Malaysia.
He said the passengers were told that they would be transferred to a bigger ship at the mid-sea.
Nearly 89 people have been killed and tens of thousands have fled their homes in violence between Rohingya Muslims and Buddhists in Myanmar`s western Rakhine state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview