126 rape cases amid eastern Congo fighting: UN
Kinhasa: The United Nations says at least 126 cases of rape took place in eastern Congo last month.
UN spokesman Martin Nesirky says two Congolese soldiers so far have been arrested in connection with the violence.
Preliminary investigations have accused Congolese army soldiers of committing rapes, looting and other human rights violations in Minova and surrounding villages.
The violence took place in late November after soldiers retreated from the city of Goma after it was captured by the M23 rebels.
Rape has long been used as a brutal weapon of war in eastern Congo, where both soldiers and various armed groups use sexual violence to intimidate, punish and control the population.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vidya Balan looks enchanting as Geeta Bali in 'Ekk Albela' poster! – View pic
- Mark Zuckerberg to connect with ISS astronauts via Facebook Live
- Top aide of Hizb-ul-Mujahideen commander surrenders in Kashmir
- Darshan Kumaar, Randeep Hooda and Vijender Singh showcase 'Jat power punch'! See pic
- Fifty years after his death, VD Savarkar trending on Twitter: Know why