126 rape cases amid eastern Congo fighting: UN
Kinhasa: The United Nations says at least 126 cases of rape took place in eastern Congo last month.
UN spokesman Martin Nesirky says two Congolese soldiers so far have been arrested in connection with the violence.
Preliminary investigations have accused Congolese army soldiers of committing rapes, looting and other human rights violations in Minova and surrounding villages.
The violence took place in late November after soldiers retreated from the city of Goma after it was captured by the M23 rebels.
Rape has long been used as a brutal weapon of war in eastern Congo, where both soldiers and various armed groups use sexual violence to intimidate, punish and control the population.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Why so much hullabaloo over Aamir's statement, asks Nagma