13 dead due to rains in China
Torrential rains that lashed large areas of northern and southwestern China since Friday night have killed at least 13 people, said authorities Saturday night.
Beijing received 95 mm of rain till Saturday evening, with the suburban Mentougou district hit by the highest 327 mm, according to the Beijing Meteorological Bureau.
In Beijing, two people were killed and six injured as strong winds toppled rooftops in two villages in the city`s suburban Tongzhou district, Xinhua quoted the Beijing Emergency Medical Centre as saying.
A third person, also in Tongzhou, was killed after being struck by lightning. The fourth, head of a police station died of electric shock from a fallen electric wire in waters while rescuing trapped villagers.
In northern Shanxi province, four people were killed and one went missing, after the pick-up truck they were travelling in was carried by floodwaters to the middle of a river in Shuozhou city, rescuers said.
In southwestern Sichuan province`s Weiyuan county, six people were killed in rain-triggered landslides, the provincial flood control office said.
About 475 flights had been cancelled and 80 others delayed by over one hour by 11 p.m. Saturday, according to the Beijing Capital International Airport.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack