13 gunmen killed in clash with Mexican soldiers
Mexico City: Authorities say Mexican soldiers killed 13 gunmen in a clash in the northern state of Zacatecas.
Zacatecas state prosecutors` spokesman Jorge Flores says soldiers also seized several automatic rifles and vehicles. Flores said on Thursday`s clash took place in a remote area of the town of Sombrerete.
Zacatecas Attorney General Arturo Nahle told Milenio Television a gunman survived and told authorities he belongs to the Gulf drug cartel.
The state of Zacatecas began seeing a rise in drug violence after the brutal Zetas drug cartel split from the Gulf cartel in 2010 and began pushing west from their home base in northeast Mexico.
More recently the state has been a hot spot for violence after the falling out between leaders of the Zetas drug gang and turf battles with other cartels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged