13 gunmen killed in clash with Mexican soldiers
Mexico City: Authorities say Mexican soldiers killed 13 gunmen in a clash in the northern state of Zacatecas.
Zacatecas state prosecutors` spokesman Jorge Flores says soldiers also seized several automatic rifles and vehicles. Flores said on Thursday`s clash took place in a remote area of the town of Sombrerete.
Zacatecas Attorney General Arturo Nahle told Milenio Television a gunman survived and told authorities he belongs to the Gulf drug cartel.
The state of Zacatecas began seeing a rise in drug violence after the brutal Zetas drug cartel split from the Gulf cartel in 2010 and began pushing west from their home base in northeast Mexico.
More recently the state has been a hot spot for violence after the falling out between leaders of the Zetas drug gang and turf battles with other cartels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!