13 gunmen killed in clash with Mexican soldiers
Mexico City: Authorities say Mexican soldiers killed 13 gunmen in a clash in the northern state of Zacatecas.
Zacatecas state prosecutors` spokesman Jorge Flores says soldiers also seized several automatic rifles and vehicles. Flores said on Thursday`s clash took place in a remote area of the town of Sombrerete.
Zacatecas Attorney General Arturo Nahle told Milenio Television a gunman survived and told authorities he belongs to the Gulf drug cartel.
The state of Zacatecas began seeing a rise in drug violence after the brutal Zetas drug cartel split from the Gulf cartel in 2010 and began pushing west from their home base in northeast Mexico.
More recently the state has been a hot spot for violence after the falling out between leaders of the Zetas drug gang and turf battles with other cartels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what