13 hurt in latest China knife attack
Beijing: In yet another attack, at least 13
students were injured on Wednesday in southern China when they were
attacked by five to six men with knives and cleavers after an
"A total of 13 students were injured early today by a
gang of youths armed with knives in south China`s Hainan
Province," said local authorities.
The pre-dawn incident is the latest in a series of knife
attacks in the country in recent weeks.
The confrontation started midnight yesterday when four
students of Hainan Technology and Vocational Institute were
attacked outside the college by youths from the nearby
villages after a dispute, Xinhua news agency reported.
Police arrived at the scene and left after questioning
Later, this morning, more village youths with knives
joined the attackers and barged into two dormitories of the
college and slashed nine students.
Two seriously wounded students were being treated at the
Haikou City People`s Hospital. But their injuries were not
The attack differed slightly from other recent attacks in
that the victims were college students.
The attack follows five separate assaults by lone
assailants over the past two months against schoolchildren
that have left 17 dead and more than 50 wounded.
Last week, a man was sentenced to death for attacking 29
kindergarten students and three teachers with a knife on April
Also last week, a man with a kitchen cleaver hacked seven
kindergarten students and a teacher to death at a school in
northwest China before returning home and committing suicide,
state media reported.
Revenge was the apparent motive in today`s attack while
deep rooted social divisions were largely perceived to be
reason for the "social revenge" attacks on schools.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says