13 killed in Mexican border lake gunbattle
Mexico City: The Mexican Navy says marines patrolling a lake along the border with Texas discovered a drug gang camp on an island, provoking a gunbattle that left 13 people dead.
The Navy says one marine and 12 gunmen from the Zetas drug cartel were killed in the gunbattle on the island on Falcon Lake, about 45 miles (70 kilometers) northwest of McAllen, Texas.
The Navy said in a statement on Monday that the gunmen opened fire when the marines found the camp. The statement said marines seized more than 20 guns, including several assault rifles, after the shooting on Sunday.
The statement said the Zetas were smuggling marijuana from the camp into Texas by speedboat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Suresh Raina denies Lalit Modi's match-fixing allegation, mulls legal action against former IPL boss
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by Fadnavis, Rijiju; Aviation Minister apologises