13 killed in Mexican border lake gunbattle
Mexico City: The Mexican Navy says marines patrolling a lake along the border with Texas discovered a drug gang camp on an island, provoking a gunbattle that left 13 people dead.
The Navy says one marine and 12 gunmen from the Zetas drug cartel were killed in the gunbattle on the island on Falcon Lake, about 45 miles (70 kilometers) northwest of McAllen, Texas.
The Navy said in a statement on Monday that the gunmen opened fire when the marines found the camp. The statement said marines seized more than 20 guns, including several assault rifles, after the shooting on Sunday.
The statement said the Zetas were smuggling marijuana from the camp into Texas by speedboat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'