13 killed in Philippines shootout
Manila: Thirteen armed men were killed in a shootout Sunday with a joint team of the police and military in Quezon province of the Philippines, a military spokesperson said.
The shootout, in which a police officer was also injured, occurred in the afternoon at Tanauan village when the police and military personnel manning a checkpoint tried to flag down two sports utility vehicles (SUVs), Xinhua quoted spokesperson Colonel Generoso Bolina as saying.
Instead of stopping at the checkpoint, the suspects shot at the security personnel, prompting the latter to retaliate, the official said.
The shootout left 13 men in the SUVs dead, but also injured a police officer, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC