13 pilgrims injured in Mecca building fire
Mecca (Saudi Arabia): At least 13 pilgrims suffered minor burns while 179 others, from India and Bangladesh, were rescued after a fire occurred in a nine-storey building in Saudi Arabia`s Mecca city Sunday evening, Xinhua reported.
Five firefighting teams and three rescue teams joined in the fight against the blaze and doused it hours later, the Saudi News Agency quoted a security official as saying.
All Indian and Bangladeshi pilgrims in the building were evacuated and the cause of the fire was being investigated, said a spokesperson for the Civil Defence for Hajj Season.
Officials say the main events, beginning this coming Wednesday, are expected to draw over two million devotees from different parts of the world to Mecca city, a media report said.
Thursday is the most important day, when pilgrims assemble in the Arafat plain outside Mecca. The pilgrimage ends after Eid al-Adha, or the Feast of Sacrifice, Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'