13 pilgrims injured in Mecca building fire
Mecca (Saudi Arabia): At least 13 pilgrims suffered minor burns while 179 others, from India and Bangladesh, were rescued after a fire occurred in a nine-storey building in Saudi Arabia`s Mecca city Sunday evening, Xinhua reported.
Five firefighting teams and three rescue teams joined in the fight against the blaze and doused it hours later, the Saudi News Agency quoted a security official as saying.
All Indian and Bangladeshi pilgrims in the building were evacuated and the cause of the fire was being investigated, said a spokesperson for the Civil Defence for Hajj Season.
Officials say the main events, beginning this coming Wednesday, are expected to draw over two million devotees from different parts of the world to Mecca city, a media report said.
Thursday is the most important day, when pilgrims assemble in the Arafat plain outside Mecca. The pilgrimage ends after Eid al-Adha, or the Feast of Sacrifice, Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional