13 pilgrims injured in Mecca building fire
Mecca (Saudi Arabia): At least 13 pilgrims suffered minor burns while 179 others, from India and Bangladesh, were rescued after a fire occurred in a nine-storey building in Saudi Arabia`s Mecca city Sunday evening, Xinhua reported.
Five firefighting teams and three rescue teams joined in the fight against the blaze and doused it hours later, the Saudi News Agency quoted a security official as saying.
All Indian and Bangladeshi pilgrims in the building were evacuated and the cause of the fire was being investigated, said a spokesperson for the Civil Defence for Hajj Season.
Officials say the main events, beginning this coming Wednesday, are expected to draw over two million devotees from different parts of the world to Mecca city, a media report said.
Thursday is the most important day, when pilgrims assemble in the Arafat plain outside Mecca. The pilgrimage ends after Eid al-Adha, or the Feast of Sacrifice, Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?