13 reported killed in 3 north Mexico gunbattles
Mexico City: Officials in northern Mexico say at least 13 people have been killed in three separate clashes between Mexican marines and gunmen in the border city of Matamoros.
Matamoros is across the border from Brownsville, Texas, and is in an area that is being fought over by the rival Gulf and Zetas drug cartels.
The government of Tamaulipas state says the three gunbattles occurred yesterday when gunmen attacked troops in different parts of Matamoros.
Its statement describes the attackers only as "armed civilians" and doesn`t say if the gunmen are suspected of belonging to cartels.
Officials say one woman was among the 13 dead civilians. No marine casualties have been reported.
- Subramanian Swamy speaks about AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi
- Subramanian Swamy speaks about AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi- Part II
- ED summons former Air Chief Marshal S.P. Tyagi
- DNA: When will Muslim women get freedom from triple divorce?
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- 143 of 300 girls cleared JEE under Udaan scheme: Smriti Irani
- Uber and Ola accused by Karnataka of violating rules, vehicles seized
- Will free jailed Pakistan doctor who tracked Osama bin Laden: Donald Trump
- Federation Cup National Athletics: Lalita Babar sets national mark, Sudha Singh joins her in 2016 Rio Olympics 3000m steeple
- Delhi Speaker nominates 13 AAP MLAs as members of civic bodies