13 reported killed in 3 north Mexico gunbattles
Mexico City: Officials in northern Mexico say at least 13 people have been killed in three separate clashes between Mexican marines and gunmen in the border city of Matamoros.
Matamoros is across the border from Brownsville, Texas, and is in an area that is being fought over by the rival Gulf and Zetas drug cartels.
The government of Tamaulipas state says the three gunbattles occurred yesterday when gunmen attacked troops in different parts of Matamoros.
Its statement describes the attackers only as "armed civilians" and doesn`t say if the gunmen are suspected of belonging to cartels.
Officials say one woman was among the 13 dead civilians. No marine casualties have been reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price