135 killed, 41 missing in heavy floods in China

At least 135 people were killed and 41 missing since in the past two weeks in one of the worst flooding in years in China, which continued to inundate several areas in a number of provinces.

Updated: Jul 15, 2010, 21:23 PM IST

Beijing: At least 135 people were killed
and 41 missing since in the past two weeks in one of the worst
flooding in years in China, which continued to inundate
several areas in a number of provinces.

Close to 35.5 million people in 10 southern provinces
and Chongqing Municipality had been affected by continuous
rainstorms and floods since the Civil Affairs Ministry said in
an assessment report.
About 113,000 homes were destroyed and more than 1.2
million people had been relocated, it said. Direct economic
losses were estimated at about 26 billion yuan (USD3.8
billion).

The Office of State Flood Control and Drought Relief
Headquarters announced earlier today that floods had killed
594 people in 26 provinces since the beginning of the year.
Another 212 people were missing. Direct economic
losses cause by the floods totalled 120.2 billion yuan, the
office said, adding that 97.5 million people and 6.16 million
hectares of farmland were affected, Xinhua reported. Rains and
floods have disrupted lives of 9.24 million people, forcing
more than 256,700 people to be relocated.

Nearly 34,000 houses toppled and 923,700 hectares of
crops were damaged, incurring 7.64 billion yuan in direct
economic losses, Xinhua reported.

In Yunnan Province, at least three people were killed
and more than 1,000 residents were affected after a downpour
hit Hongqiao Township in Lijiang City yesterday.

PTI