14 dead, 60 feared dead in Siberia plant explosion
Moscow: Rescue workers found two bodies on Wednesday
in the destroyed engine room of Russia`s largest hydroelectric
plant, raising the accident`s official death toll to 14,
Sixty other workers are missing and feared dead at the
massive Sayano-Shushenskaya power station in southern Siberia
after an explosion during repairs Monday blew out walls and
caused the turbine room to flood. Three of the plant`s 10
turbines were destroyed and three others were damaged, plant
owner RusHydro said.
The giant power station has been idle since. Oleg
Deripaska, the head of Rusal, the world`s largest aluminum
producer, visited the damaged power plant today to discuss
with Russia`s energy ministry and RusHydro how his factories
will get power in the meantime.
More than 70 percent of all energy from the crippled
hydroelectric plant goes to four Rusal smelters in Siberia,
which are believed to be the company`s most efficient plants.
Divers continued to scour the near-freezing waters that
flooded the power plant for the missing workers but officials
say there is little chance of finding anyone alive. About
1,000 rescue workers were involved in the search, Emergency
Situations Minister Sergei Shoigu said.
Energy Minister Sergei Shmatko described the accident as
"the biggest and most mysterious in global hydroenergy".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened