14 dead as bus in China falls off bridge
Beijing: Chinese authorities say 14 people were killed after a sleeper bus fell off a bridge in central Hubei province.
Hubei Highway Police today said on its microblog that the bus went off a bridge spanning the Yangtze River in the city of Jingzhou and crashed into a river beach, killing 14 and injuring eight more.
Police say a preliminary investigation shows the driver operated the bus improperly when avoiding a motorcycle but does not give more details.
Police say the bus was carrying 22 people at the time of the crash. Road accidents are common in China because of poor road conditions and bad driving habits.
Death tolls often are high because of widespread use of buses as an inexpensive option by China`s vast number of migrant workers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown