14 dead as more fighters join Philippine feud
Datu Piang: The death toll
from a vicious feud between rival Muslim rebel groups in the
southern Philippines rose to 14 on Thursday as more fighters flocked
to the remote area, officials said.
Gunfire rang out in the rural town of Datu Piang as
residents carrying babies trooped to a government evacuation
centre to escape the violence, said local village chairman Ben
"The gunfire has been heavy. It is moving further from
the town centre but for the outer districts, it is getting
worse," Carandang said.
About 500 families, or roughly 2,500 people, have fled to
evacuation centres since the fighting began this week,
according to Carandang.
The fighting pits Commander Adzmie of the country`s main
Muslim rebel group, the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, against
Commander Abunawas, leader of an armed band that broke away
from the MILF.
The clashes are over longstanding land dispute between
Adzmie and Abunawas, government and MILF officials said.
Similar land disputes between Muslim clans have led to
violence in the often lawless southern Philippines over many
Six MILF fighters and eight of Abunawas`s armed men have
been killed this week, said local military spokesman Colonel
He said other armed bands who were related to Adzmie and
Abunawas were entering the area to join the fighting,
potentially escalating the violence.
But he said the military was not becoming involved in the
unrest because of a ceasefire in place with the MILF as part
of ongoing government peace talks with the group.
MILF spokesman Von al-Haq said Abunawas and his breakaway
group had less than 1,000 fighters throughout the southern
Philippines. This compares with the 12,000-strong MILF.
The MILF has waged an armed struggle since the 1970s that
has led to the loss of at least 150,000 lives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi