14 hurt as plane skids off runway in Thailand
Bangkok: At least 14 people were injured when a Thai Airways plane skidded off the runway in Bangkok`s main international airport after its landing gear malfunctioned.
Airbus A330-300 aircraft, with 288 passengers and 14 cabin crew on board, travelling from China`s Guangzhou skidded off the runway at Suvarnabhumi Airport here last night following its landing gear malfunctioned, Thai Airways International (THAI) President Sorajak Kasemsuvan said.
Passengers were evacuated using emergency slides, he said.
"Sparks were noticed from the vicinity of the right landing gear near the engine," Kasemsuvan said in a statement. "The captain took control of the aircraft until it came to a complete stop and passengers were evacuated from the aircraft emergency exits."
The crash injured 14 passengers, 12 of whom have already been released from hospital. A Chinese national and a Zimbabwean national are still being treated at Samitivej Srinakarin Hospital.
The airline has set up a panel to look into the cause of the accident, while an independent panel was formed by the Department of Civil Aviation to investigate the case.
The incident forced temporary closure of one of two runways at Suvarnabhumi airport - one of the busiest airports in Asia - causing delays for inbound and departing flights.
The crash came less than two weeks after 20 passengers were injured when a Thai Airways Airbus A380 hit severe turbulence as it was descending to Hong Kong`s airport.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy