14 hurt as plane skids off runway in Thailand
Bangkok: At least 14 people were injured when a Thai Airways plane skidded off the runway in Bangkok`s main international airport after its landing gear malfunctioned.
Airbus A330-300 aircraft, with 288 passengers and 14 cabin crew on board, travelling from China`s Guangzhou skidded off the runway at Suvarnabhumi Airport here last night following its landing gear malfunctioned, Thai Airways International (THAI) President Sorajak Kasemsuvan said.
Passengers were evacuated using emergency slides, he said.
"Sparks were noticed from the vicinity of the right landing gear near the engine," Kasemsuvan said in a statement. "The captain took control of the aircraft until it came to a complete stop and passengers were evacuated from the aircraft emergency exits."
The crash injured 14 passengers, 12 of whom have already been released from hospital. A Chinese national and a Zimbabwean national are still being treated at Samitivej Srinakarin Hospital.
The airline has set up a panel to look into the cause of the accident, while an independent panel was formed by the Department of Civil Aviation to investigate the case.
The incident forced temporary closure of one of two runways at Suvarnabhumi airport - one of the busiest airports in Asia - causing delays for inbound and departing flights.
The crash came less than two weeks after 20 passengers were injured when a Thai Airways Airbus A380 hit severe turbulence as it was descending to Hong Kong`s airport.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark