14 killed in clashes in 3 western Mexico towns
Morelia (Mexico): Mexican officials say 14 people died in several clashes between members of a "community police" group and a drug gang in the western state of Michoacan.
A state police investigator says officials found the bodies in three towns of the Tierra Caliente, or the Hot Country. The region got its name for its steamy weather but also for its gang activity.
The officer spoke on condition of anonymity because he`s not authorised to speak to the media. He says gunmen working for a cartel attacked the vigilantes as they stood guard at roadblocks.
"Self-defence" groups first appeared in February, saying they were standing up to the Knights Templar drug cartel. In March, authorities arrested some of the vigilantes and said some had ties to a rival drug gang.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate