14 killed in clashes in 3 western Mexico towns
Morelia (Mexico): Mexican officials say 14 people died in several clashes between members of a "community police" group and a drug gang in the western state of Michoacan.
A state police investigator says officials found the bodies in three towns of the Tierra Caliente, or the Hot Country. The region got its name for its steamy weather but also for its gang activity.
The officer spoke on condition of anonymity because he`s not authorised to speak to the media. He says gunmen working for a cartel attacked the vigilantes as they stood guard at roadblocks.
"Self-defence" groups first appeared in February, saying they were standing up to the Knights Templar drug cartel. In March, authorities arrested some of the vigilantes and said some had ties to a rival drug gang.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi