14 killed in clashes in 3 western Mexico towns
Morelia (Mexico): Mexican officials say 14 people died in several clashes between members of a "community police" group and a drug gang in the western state of Michoacan.
A state police investigator says officials found the bodies in three towns of the Tierra Caliente, or the Hot Country. The region got its name for its steamy weather but also for its gang activity.
The officer spoke on condition of anonymity because he`s not authorised to speak to the media. He says gunmen working for a cartel attacked the vigilantes as they stood guard at roadblocks.
"Self-defence" groups first appeared in February, saying they were standing up to the Knights Templar drug cartel. In March, authorities arrested some of the vigilantes and said some had ties to a rival drug gang.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price