14 rebels killed in Colombia fighting: Military
Bogota: The Colombian military said Monday a weekend offensive against the FARC killed 14 rebels, five more than previously reported.
The air and ground attack targeted a FARC camp near the town of Tame, in a rural area near the border with Venezuela, it said in a statement.
During the operation, a helicopter was hit by rebel fire but was not brought down.
Besides the 14 dead, whose bodies were recovered after the fighting, one rebel was wounded and another surrendered.
The government of President Juan Manuel Santos has been engaged in peace talks with the FARC since November 2012, but has vowed to keep up military pressure on the guerilla group until a comprehensive deal is reached.
Santos on Monday pressed for concluding the talks this year.
"We have to finish up by the end of the year because these processes too start to get worn out and the parties no longer show the same interest ... We don`t want the process to get so worn out that it falls apart," Santos told Caracol television.
With 7,000 to 8,000 fighters, the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia have been battling the state since their founding in 1964.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH