15 doses of drugs used in `botched` US execution: Documents
Washington: The two-hour-long execution of a US inmate last month required 15 doses of a relatively untested drug cocktail, according to documents, prompting renewed calls for an independent investigation.
Arizona`s July 23 execution by lethal injection of double murderer Joseph Wood was drawn out for an agonizing 117 minutes, during which the condemned man gasped and snorted, rather than the the usual 10.
His attorney had released 331 pages of documents yesterday that he had received from the Arizona Department of Corrections, which examined Wood after the procedure, and said the use of that quantity of medication was a violation of official procedures.
"The Arizona execution protocol explicitly states that a prisoner will be executed using 50 milligrams of hydromorphone and 50 milligrams of midazolam," lawyer Dale Baich said.
"The execution logs released today by the Arizona Department of Corrections shows that the experimental drug protocol did not work as promised. Instead of the one dose as required under the protocol, ADC injected 15 separate doses of the drug combination, resulting in the most prolonged execution in recent memory," he added.
"This is why an independent investigation by a non-governmental authority is necessary."
Wood`s execution was the third this year to have gone on far longer than usual, as US states experiment with an untested combination of lethal medications amid a shortage of tried and tested drugs after European manufacturers halted exports.
The drug cocktail used to kill Wood, a combination of the sedative midazolam and the painkiller hydromorphone had only been used once before in January in Ohio, where it took inmate Dennis McGuire 26 minutes to die.
Death penalty opponents allege that the lengthy execution of Wood, 55, and others amount to a form of torture or the "cruel and unusual" punishment forbidden by the US Constitution.
US courts have rejected several appeals by inmates concerned by the procedure, amid predictions that the debate will likely eventually have to be decided by the US Supreme Court.
Eighteen US states have abolished the death penalty, but others and the federal government maintain the practice, and polls suggest it retains majority support among the US public.
Wood was sentenced to die for the 1989 shooting deaths of his 29-year-old former girlfriend Debbie Dietz and her father Gene, 55.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened