15 killed during Somali insurgent attack
Mogadishu: Officials say an attack by Islamic militants against government soldiers in the Somali capital has left at least 15 people dead.
Residents of northern Mogadishu say the insurgents fired machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades on government and African Union peacekeepers` bases in an hours-long battle beginning yesterday afternoon.
Ali Muse of Mogadishu`s ambulance service says his staff counted at least 15 dead and carried 20 wounded people to hospitals.
Col Abdullahi Hassan Barise of the police force confirmed the attack. It happened a day after Somalia`s parliament passed a vote of confidence in the new prime minister.
The Somali government controls only a few blocks of Mogadishu.
The country has not had a fully functioning government since 1991.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends