15 killed during Somali insurgent attack
Mogadishu: Officials say an attack by Islamic militants against government soldiers in the Somali capital has left at least 15 people dead.
Residents of northern Mogadishu say the insurgents fired machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades on government and African Union peacekeepers` bases in an hours-long battle beginning yesterday afternoon.
Ali Muse of Mogadishu`s ambulance service says his staff counted at least 15 dead and carried 20 wounded people to hospitals.
Col Abdullahi Hassan Barise of the police force confirmed the attack. It happened a day after Somalia`s parliament passed a vote of confidence in the new prime minister.
The Somali government controls only a few blocks of Mogadishu.
The country has not had a fully functioning government since 1991.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!