15 killed during Somali insurgent attack
Mogadishu: Officials say an attack by Islamic militants against government soldiers in the Somali capital has left at least 15 people dead.
Residents of northern Mogadishu say the insurgents fired machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades on government and African Union peacekeepers` bases in an hours-long battle beginning yesterday afternoon.
Ali Muse of Mogadishu`s ambulance service says his staff counted at least 15 dead and carried 20 wounded people to hospitals.
Col Abdullahi Hassan Barise of the police force confirmed the attack. It happened a day after Somalia`s parliament passed a vote of confidence in the new prime minister.
The Somali government controls only a few blocks of Mogadishu.
The country has not had a fully functioning government since 1991.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what