1.5 mn Philippine typhoon children face malnutrition: UN
United Nations: The United Nations has warned that 1.5 million children are at risk of malnutrition in typhoon-ravaged areas of the Philippines and called for greater efforts to provide food and water.
A UN appeal to cope with Typhoon Haiyan has been increased from USD 301 to USD 348 million as the extent of the storm disaster becomes clearer.
UN humanitarian chief Valerie Amos said the death toll, increased yesterday to 5,200, would rise higher even as the spotlight turns away from the November 8 super typhoon.
"I am very concerned that some 1.5 million children are at risk of acute malnutrition and close to 800,000 pregnant and nursing mothers need nutritional help," Amos told a news conference yesterday at UN headquarters after a trip to the Philippines.
Amos said huge numbers of people are still exposed to bad weather in the nine provinces ravaged by the storm. An estimated four million people have been left homeless.
A huge international relief operation was launched after the storm, but Amos said: "Much more needs to be done. Food, clean water and shelter remain the top priorities."
The death toll has mounted as rescuers reach remote islands and areas hit by fierce winds and huge waves in one of the biggest storms ever recorded.
Amos said the storm had also left a major communications blackout.
"People have little or no access to basic information through cell phones, internet and radio, TV or newspapers," she said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed