16 arrested in China for forcing girls into prostitution
Beijing: Sixteen people have been arrested from central China's Hubei Province for allegedly forcing more than 30 girls, mostly underage students, into prostitution.
The gang allegedly lured victims primarily via online chat rooms, asking them to come to the city of Yichang for "dating" before forcing them into prostitution.
Victims were aged between 14 and 19, according to police in Xiangyang City.
Thirteen victims have been freed since the start of the investigation in January, when the first case was reported by a high school girl's parents.
Four members of the gang are still being hunted down, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The public has been put on high alert after a spate of sexual assault reports involving young women in recent weeks.
Earlier this week, a 22-year-old college student in Shandong was freed after being abducted and held as a sex slave for days by an unlicensed "taxi" driver.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what