16 arrested in China for forcing girls into prostitution
Beijing: Sixteen people have been arrested from central China's Hubei Province for allegedly forcing more than 30 girls, mostly underage students, into prostitution.
The gang allegedly lured victims primarily via online chat rooms, asking them to come to the city of Yichang for "dating" before forcing them into prostitution.
Victims were aged between 14 and 19, according to police in Xiangyang City.
Thirteen victims have been freed since the start of the investigation in January, when the first case was reported by a high school girl's parents.
Four members of the gang are still being hunted down, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The public has been put on high alert after a spate of sexual assault reports involving young women in recent weeks.
Earlier this week, a 22-year-old college student in Shandong was freed after being abducted and held as a sex slave for days by an unlicensed "taxi" driver.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information