16 Indians face deportation from UK
London: Forty-one Asians, including 16
Indian nationals, have been arrested in raids by Britain`s
immigration officials for working illegally in the country,
official sources said.
The 16 Indian nationals were arrested in July during
raids at two factories, a restaurant and shop in the West
Midlands and two restaurants in Lanarkshire, Scotland.
Action is now being taken to deport them to India.
Also, 25 Bangladeshi nationals were arrested in July
for working illegally in restaurants in West London,
Warwickshire, Surrey, Oxfordshire and Herefordshire.
Action is underway to return all of them to
"We are cracking down on companies that employ illegal
workers and fail to carry out proper checks on passports and
other identity documents," a UK Border Agency spokesperson
"Any business that takes on a foreign national
without permission to work is breaking the law and faces a
heavy fine and possible prosecution," the spokesperson said.
A fine of up to 10,000 pounds will be imposed on
employers for every illegal worker found in their business,
unless the employers can prove that they carried out the
correct right-to-work checks on the employees.
The UK Border Agency has also been working with local
Sikh community leaders and Gurudwaras in the West Midlands to
provide advice to migrants, some of whom are destitute, and
wish to return to India.
The monthly advice centres are being held at the
Gurdwaras in Smethwick; Sedgley Street, Wolverhampton; High
Street, West Bromwich; Soho Road, Handsworth, Birmingham and
Foleshill Road, Coventry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’