16 killed in China storms
Beijing: At least 16 people were killed in rain and hailstorms that triggered flooding and landslides in southern China, officials said Monday.
The severe weather, which began last Friday, has affected seven provinces and municipalities, China`s ministry of civil affairs said in a statement, leaving 16 people dead and two missing.
The storms are the first round of heavy rainfall this spring, the ministry said.
In Guangdong province, one of the hardest-hit areas, flights at major airports ground to a halt and classes in some cities were suspended Monday.
Rescuers in neighbouring Guangxi province have been searching since Sunday for a mine worker who was buried in a landslide, the official Xinhua news agency reported.
The deluge was so severe in Hong Kong on Sunday that hailstones smashed the windows of a shopping mall in the Kowloon Tong district.
Television footage showed umbrella-carrying shoppers wading through the drenched mall.
Of the 16 dead in mainland China, seven were from Guangdong province, which neighbours Hong Kong. Two were killed in each of Jiangxi, Hunan, Guizhou and Chongqing, and one person has been confirmed dead in Guangxi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another