16 killed in Philippines in Islamist militants` attack
Manila: At least 16 people were killed and 13 injured Monday in an ambush staged by members of the militants group Abu Sayyaf in the Philippines, an official said.
The official said the victims were aboard two jeeps when they were attacked by some 50 Abu Sayyaf militants in Talipao town in Sulu province, Xinhua reported.
The official said that all the victims were civilians on their way to another area to celebrate Eid al-Fitr, a Muslim holiday which marks the end of Ramadan.
Abu Sayyaf is an Islamist militant group based in and around Jolo and Basilan.
Since its inception in 1991, the group have engaged in terrorism for an independent caliphate in the Philippines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi