16 killed in Philippines in Islamist militants` attack
Manila: At least 16 people were killed and 13 injured Monday in an ambush staged by members of the militants group Abu Sayyaf in the Philippines, an official said.
The official said the victims were aboard two jeeps when they were attacked by some 50 Abu Sayyaf militants in Talipao town in Sulu province, Xinhua reported.
The official said that all the victims were civilians on their way to another area to celebrate Eid al-Fitr, a Muslim holiday which marks the end of Ramadan.
Abu Sayyaf is an Islamist militant group based in and around Jolo and Basilan.
Since its inception in 1991, the group have engaged in terrorism for an independent caliphate in the Philippines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq