16 people die after quarry collapse: Somali police
Mogadishu: A Somali police official says 16 people have died and others are missing after a quarry where they were mining construction stone collapsed.
Capt Mohamed Hussein said late yesterday there was no reports of survivors. He declined to say how many people are missing.
Residents in Karan district, north of Mogadishu, dug through rocks and sand looking for survivors but their efforts was hampered by darkness.
Somalia is recovering from decades of war that left the country`s infrastructure in tatters with no resources for disaster response.
Mogadishu, the Somali capital, is experiencing a construction boom due to the relative peace since African Union troops pushed out Al-Qaeda-linked militants two years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH