16 people die after quarry collapse: Somali police
Mogadishu: A Somali police official says 16 people have died and others are missing after a quarry where they were mining construction stone collapsed.
Capt Mohamed Hussein said late yesterday there was no reports of survivors. He declined to say how many people are missing.
Residents in Karan district, north of Mogadishu, dug through rocks and sand looking for survivors but their efforts was hampered by darkness.
Somalia is recovering from decades of war that left the country`s infrastructure in tatters with no resources for disaster response.
Mogadishu, the Somali capital, is experiencing a construction boom due to the relative peace since African Union troops pushed out Al-Qaeda-linked militants two years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- 25-year-old woman gang-raped, two arrested
- How to dress like a star within your budget! Get tips right away
- People spreading violence can't be Kashmiris, says Mehbooba
- Jagdish Mukhi sworn in as Lt Guv of Andaman and Nicobar
- Over 55 students hospitalised after consuming food from college hostel in TN