16 people die after quarry collapse: Somali police
Mogadishu: A Somali police official says 16 people have died and others are missing after a quarry where they were mining construction stone collapsed.
Capt Mohamed Hussein said late yesterday there was no reports of survivors. He declined to say how many people are missing.
Residents in Karan district, north of Mogadishu, dug through rocks and sand looking for survivors but their efforts was hampered by darkness.
Somalia is recovering from decades of war that left the country`s infrastructure in tatters with no resources for disaster response.
Mogadishu, the Somali capital, is experiencing a construction boom due to the relative peace since African Union troops pushed out Al-Qaeda-linked militants two years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- MUST WATCH VIDEO FOR ALL CRICKET FANS: When Rahul Dravid found himself stranded against XI South Africans
- Dayashankar row: How sympathising BSP leader Nasimuddin Siddiqui turns into a 'villain' – READ
- Will meet Dayashankar's daughter on Sunday: Naik
- It's Giggs' Mumbai vs Solgado's Kochi in Premier Futsal final
- Two Maoists gunned down by security forces in Chhattisgarh