16 people die after quarry collapse: Somali police
Mogadishu: A Somali police official says 16 people have died and others are missing after a quarry where they were mining construction stone collapsed.
Capt Mohamed Hussein said late yesterday there was no reports of survivors. He declined to say how many people are missing.
Residents in Karan district, north of Mogadishu, dug through rocks and sand looking for survivors but their efforts was hampered by darkness.
Somalia is recovering from decades of war that left the country`s infrastructure in tatters with no resources for disaster response.
Mogadishu, the Somali capital, is experiencing a construction boom due to the relative peace since African Union troops pushed out Al-Qaeda-linked militants two years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state